macon county nc north carolina courthouse government
macon county health department laboratory franklin highlands nantahala nc north carolina

accredited north carolina health department macon county nc north carolina

Moderate Complexity CLIA Certification # 34D0663392

COLA Accreditation # 003722

North Carolina Certified Lab # 37522 for
Microbiological testing of potable water


macon county nc health departmentMacon County Public Health

The Macon County Public Health (MCPH) Laboratory strives to provide accurate and efficient services in support of our clinic based health programs and the surrounding community.

In addition to in house testing, MCPH Laboratory also accepts outside physician orders. Other services provided include breath alcohol testing, urine drug screen collections, paternity specimen collections, and Environmental Health Drinking Water analysis. Breath alcohol testing and urine drug screen collections are provided for area employers who have accounts with Medical Review Officer Laboratories that are also contracted with MCPH.

Fees are based on the services provided. Billing for private insurance, Medicare, and/or Medicaid is available. Services are also provided to individuals who may not have insurance coverage based off MCPH's Fee Schedule.

To find out more information about testing, services offered, or to schedule an appointment please call MCPH at 828-349-2081.

Dates and Times for Laboratory Services

Day of the Week Mornings Afternoons
Monday 8:00 am - 11:30 am 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Tuesday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am - 11:30 am 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Thursday 8:00 am - 11:30 am 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 11:30 am

*Appointments are not required but preferred*

Clinical Testing

Laboratory services are open to the public. Testing requires a written order from a physician. The order must contain:

  • Test(s) requested or Test(s) codes
  • Diagnosis codes associated with each test ordered
  • Ordering physician's name, phone/fax number, and NPI
Testing not performed within the local laboratory will be sent to a reference lab for testing.

Breath Alcohol Testing and Urine Drug Screen Collection

MCPH Laboratory staff are certified BAT's (Breath Alcohol Technicians) and certified in specimen collection for urine drug screens. DOT and non-DOT breath alcohol testing and urine collections are performed for area employers. Employers must set up an account with the MCPH Laboratory, as well as a MRO (Medical Review Officer) Laboratory. Appointments are required for testing and/or urine drug screen collection.

All testing and collections are performed according to 49 CFR Part 40 Drug and Alcohol Regulations.

Drug screen collections will also be provided for medical necessity if ordered by a physician

For information about breath and alcohol testing, urine drug screen collection, or setting up an account with the lab please contact us at 828-349-2081.

Paternity Collections

Macon County Public Health is a paternity collection facility only. Paternity testing is performed at a reference laboratory. The reference laboratory will contact MCPH to schedule collection appointment. The two paternity testing laboratories commonly used by MCPH are LabCorp and DNA Diagnostics.

For more information please contact LabCorp at 1-800-334-5161 or DNA Diagnostics at 1-800-362-2368.

Environmental Health Drinking Water Analysis

Private and Public water samples are accepted by the Environmental Health Department for testing at the following times:

  • Monday - Wednesday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm *Samples will not be accepted from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm*
  • Thursday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm


Water sample forms and bottles must be obtained from the Environment Health Department, located at the Macon County Public Health Center.

For more information or questions, please contact the Macon County Environment Health Department at 828-349-2489

       Mobile Menus  

© 2010 Macon County, North Carolina
5 West Main Street • Franklin, NC 28734
Phone: 828-349-2000

web design tony angel media