Macon County NC Government
5 West Main Street
Franklin, NC 28734
Phone: (828) 349-2000
Macon County Manager's Office
County Manager & Staff:
Derek Roland - County Manager/Ex Officio Clerk to the Board
Mike Decker - H.R. Director / Deputy Clerk to the Board
Pam Ledford - Administrative Staff Assistant
Administration/County Manager's Office
The Macon County Board of Commissioners has authorized the council-manager form of government. G.S. 153A-82 designates the manager as chief administrator of county government, responsible to the board of commissioners for administering all departments under the board's general control. The statute outlines the following powers and duties for the manager:
- He shall appoint with the approval of the board of commissioners and suspend or remove all county officers, employees, and agents except those who are elected by the people or whose appointment is otherwise provided for by laws. The board may by resolution, permit the manager to appoint officers, employees and agents without first securing the board's approval. The manager shall make his appointments, suspensions, removals in accordance with any general personnel rules, regulations, policies or ordinances that the board may adopt. The board may require the manager to report each suspension or removal to the board at the board's first regular meeting following the suspension or removal; and, if the board has permitted the manager to make appointments without board approval, the board may require the manager to report each appointment to the board at the board's first regular meeting following the appointment.
- He shall direct and supervise the administration of all county offices, departments, boards, commissioners and agencies under the general control of the board of commissioners, subject to the general direction and control of the board.
- He shall attend all meetings of the board of commissioners and recommend any measures that he considers expedient.
- He shall see that the orders, ordinances, resolutions and regulations of the board of commissioners are faithfully executed within the county.
- He shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the board of commissioners.
- He shall annually submit to the board of commissioners and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the county as of the end of the fiscal year.
- He shall make any other reports that the board of commissioners may require concerning the operations of county offices, departments, boards, commissioners, and agencies.
- He shall perform any other duties that may be required or authorized by the board of commissioners.
The existence of two independently elected officials in all counties - the sheriff and the register of deeds - limits the manager's appointive and supervisory jurisdiction.
Staff provides support to the Board of Commissioners and is responsible for preparation of Board agendas and maintenance of county records.
The office is located in the Courthouse Annex, 5 West Main Street, Franklin, NC and can be contacted by calling 828-349-2025.
Macon County Government Flowchart
- County departments whose main function is overall county government support.
- County departments that have shared resources, supervision and/or local boards; or
- All other county departments are headed by elected officials.